RE: DSM:teachers/classes

Tom Spackman (spack@channel1.com)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:26:35 -0400

Scott -

While I agree with much of what you have to say about Socrates, I know from experience that the Socratic method can be one of the more effective "traditional" methods of instruction. I also agree that instruction isn't necessary, and kids at SVS and elsewhere can excel without it, but that doesn't change the fact that it _can_ be effective.

It is a peculiarity of my personality that I tend to enjoy the verbal/intellectual thrust and parry provided by the Socratic method. For me, and presumably for others, this makes this method of teaching effective under what Dan would classify as teaching by entertainment. My favorite professors in college and in law school each used this method, although they used it very differently. My college professor was a master of the art form, and I considered his classes to be performances. He used the method to manipulate and humiliate his students. The process was so entertaining (as long as you weren't the student being humiliated) that I actually sat in on some of his "intro" classes as a senior, just to watch him work. My law school professor was even better because his version of the method included humor, which effectively eliminated the humiliation. His method was still incredibly manipulative (which may be the essence of the Socratic method), but manipulation is acceptable in the context of traditional education. The result was one of the few classes where I actually retained some information longer than necessary to recite it on the final exam!

I guess my point is, despite Socrates personal and political failings, his educational method can be fun and effective!

just my 2 cents worth

Tom Spackman