Re: DSM:socrates

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:02:52 -0400

Hi,

Sharon wrote:

> Scott,
> I did not say venture any opinion of Socrates as either good or bad. I
> merely noted that his method was a form of education missing from your
> list. (As was, it occured to me later, experimentation.)

Good point. Any and every thing that human beings do is a means by which to learn. It was foolish of me to try to
enumerate any.

> Example: I simply failed to understand some technical aspects of formal
> verse analysis when I first encountered them. I read, studied, and
> attempted to do. In fact, I was fairly certain that I had done it
> correctly. I was dead wrong. It did not take a great deal of instruction,
> but it did take a solid half hour of painstaking work from someone who
> know how and lead me through it. Yes - A very small thing, I'll admit -
> the ability to perform highly regulated technical analysis of verse is not
> very important in the scheme of things. But it is something I could only
> learn by being taught.

Your point is valid, then. I was thinking about "instruction" as prolonged, or unsolicited.

Instruction (as you have defined the termn) certainly exists at SVS, more often in the form of students helping each other
out than staff helping students out... But one does often see one person demonstrating a technique to another. Very
often.

Such "instruction" at SVS it is casual, and rarely sought in a determined way. I might easily ask someone "hey, how the
heck do you _do_ that?", at SVS or in other contexts. I guess when a friend is taking a few minutes out to demonstrate
something, it doesn't feel like "instruction" as I would use the term... It's a natural outgrowth from sharing projects or
conversations together.

> Sharon

-- Scott Gray
sdavid@tiac.net