Re: DSM:teachers

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:28:38 -0400

Sharon,

     The word "class" is often misleading when used at Sudbury Valley. Within the Sudbury Valley School culture, the
word "class" is used entirely differently than it is in other settings.

     What we call a "class" at Sudbury Valley might be better described as an "academic club" in another setting. Let
me run down some of the most obvious differences between SVS "classes", and tradtional classes. Other Sudbury Model
schools no doubt have different traditions around classes; this represents only what I see at Sudbury Valley.

* Classes are rare and never take up more than a tiny fraction of any student's time (many of the more academically
oriented students wouldn't touch a class with a ten foot pole).
* Classes are not recognized in any official way by the school; they do not get any kind of precedence or priority
for room use, and the Judicial Committee can (and does) call people (including staff) out of classes when their
investigations require it.
* Classes are organized when (and only when) students take the initiative to organize them rather than being
organized "for" the students.
* There are no tests or grades used as either a prerequisite for attending the class or as a guage of "progress" as
the class continues.
* Classes often meet for only a few sessions.
* Classes usually center around discussion rather than around lecture.
* A person who chooses to stop attending the class may do so. This includes staff members (there is a related issue
of "primary tasks" on staff contracts, however).