Re: DSM: Learning disabilities at SVS

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Tue, 26 May 1998 02:57:04 -0400

Hi, Liz!

Don't you think, for the sake of the argument, that a baby, seeing the
whole world on two legs walking around, would want to learn to walk and
teach herself to walk eventually?

My understanding of the Sudbury Model is that if we avoid persuading or
making suggestions to children, at the expense of them not learning what we
want them to, when we want them to, they then reap the personal rewards,
self-esteem, and character of having started, conducted, and concluded the
whole learning process. It's almost as if by an adult suggesting what &
when to learn, a little yet essential piece of ownership of that process is
taken away.

I think a staff member would certainly not recommend a book in the manner
you mentioned, but I would say that parents are free to relate to their
children in any manner they wish.

Having said that, if friendly parental suggestions turn into haranguing,
the child would certainly benefit less in a Sudbury environment.

I wouldn't want to try to defend the baby analogy very far, though --
there's a whole world of dependence there that just isn't that much of a
factor with most six-year-olds. Except when they're really sleepy.

-Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com