Re: DSM: Educational Reform

J.P. Roach (josroach@hotmail.com)
Thu, 21 May 1998 23:23:01 +0000

Joe Roach here, from The New School in Newark, DE

I don't understand all the public school bashing either. My take has always
been democratic schools v. traditional schools -- including both public and
private schools. I went to public schools, but I have taught at private
schools, and I find that private schools are more insidious because parents
and students think they get more out of them! The last traditional school I
taught in was a boarding school with a very traditional structure and
curriculum. Students at that school were worked from morning to night... and
the faculty had the naivete to complain that the students were not thoughtful
enough, and that they were not becoming "self-directed" learners -- what a
crock! Such places may teach you how to live in an authoritarian state, but
there is nothing about individuality, or real thinking.