Re: DSM: Educational Reform

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:09:56 -0400

Shelley,

You asked for my experiences. My experiences are that public schools are
pathetic. I've attended many of them, and taught at dozens; many of them
would be considered the finest schools in the country, but coercion and
persuasion are fundamental aspects of every public school in this country.
I think coercion and persuasion create very negative results. Those are my
firsthand experiences and opinions. I'm sorry if you're put off.

Cheers,
-Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com

----------
> From: SEArenas <SEArenas@aol.com>
> To: discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org
> Subject: Re: DSM: Educational Reform
> Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998 6:33 PM
>
> Thanks for your reply Joe. Although I had not intended for my message to
you
> to be forwarded to the entire list, since it was, I'll respond here too.
>
> Probably I'm in a minority on this list, but I'm somewhat put off by the
> implications that public school is so completely awful, and the Sudbury
method
> is so completely perfect. I see some of what you describe in my son's
> experience at public school, but I see many positives as well. And, I
have
> concerns about aspects of the Sudbury model as well... I think as an
ideal
> it's pretty close to perfect, but as a real-life experience, it may not
always
> live up to the ideal. If resolving problems, learning from mistakes,
dealing
> with hard issues is an accepted & given part of the Sudbury experience...
then
> I don't see why problems, mistakes, and hard issues that come up in
public
> school are somehow worse. Harder to effect change perhaps, but not
completely
> different.
>
> For parents whose kids have never attended public school, and who have
> accumulated second hand horror stories from other public school families,
it
> may be very clearcut. But it would be interesting to hear from parents
who
> have had kids in public schools, not just struggling inner-city public
schools
> but "good" public schools (the ones that get nationally recognized for
> innovation and excellence), parents who have volunteered and been active
in
> working with school districts and staff, and how and why they chose to
leave
> that learning environment for a Sudbury model school.
>
> For me, the decision is not likely to be based on my opinion of whether
one
> learning environment/method is inherently better than another, but more
simply
> on which one is best for my child. I will say that regardless of which
path I
> & my son ultimately choose for him, the experience of researching the
Sudbury
> model and other alternative methods, has been eye-opening and empowering
in
> terms of asking for what I want & need from my son's education... rather
than
> just accepting/making-do with what is available & offered.
>
> Shelley

> << And the requirements for public school students today are even more
> ludicrous than they were when I was in school in the Seventies and
> Eighties. Our friends who live in Bethesda, MD have three children
> enrolled in public school. They spend two hours _a night_ doing
homework,
> and much of it is so abstract, the parents can't even help them with it.
> They showed it to me (it was sixth grade grammar), and it was absolute
crap
> - completely useless. Par for the course.
>
> I (and I'm sure many of you) have seen it over and over again, where
people
> have these brilliant kids with sparkles in their eyes who play deep and
> hard from dawn until dusk, until the parents shove them into our
modern-day
> workaholic schools. Sure enough within a year the sparkle's gone, and
> they're trudging around acting reserved and judgemental, waiting for the
> next adult to impose their will on them. They've got the weight of the
> world on their shoulders, because they've been thrust into the adult
world
> of constant work, evaluation, punishment, and rewards!
>
> I decided I wouldn't allow that to happen to my children. They're very
> lucky not to have to spend a year decompressing from a conventional
school
> because they will never set foot in one.
>
> Having made this decision, Linda and I see things every day that confirm
> our choice. Our son is 6. Right now he's teaching himself to read.
He's