Re: discuss-sudbury-model The problem with trying to have a semi-democratic system in "normal" schoo

Scott Gray ()
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

Sam is right on the money. It's fairly obvious why this is the case.
It's a matter of equality before the law.

One cannot have effective democracy in an environment in which one is
_not_ equal before the law with the other participants in the democracy.
That means that _every_ rule passed in the environment applies to all
members of the community -- whether students or staff. If the laws made
only apply to _some_ members of the community, the decsion making body
will tend to resemble the body politic -- it will be unfairly biased
towards/against segments of the community.

It is my firm opinion, in any political system, that one cannot enjoy the
fruits of democratic decsion making without first democratizing. That is,
making all members of the community equally subject to the law.

Take care,

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
He who cannot lie, knows not what truth is.

-- Nietzche