Re: rural schools

Jerome Mintz (jmintz@iris.nyit.edu)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Sandra:
The main concern when you set up a boarding program is to meet state
health and safety standards.

The school which I directed was democratic with non-compulsory classes,
and it had day and boarding students. I feel very strongly that the
residential aspect of a free school adds a tremendous dimention to it. It
allows for more potential diversity and a more intense experience for a
core group of students. In order to not creayte ytwo sewperate groups, all
of the day school students could sign up to stay over at the boarding
location once a week or so. Sometimes we had classes at the boarding
location, which was in the mountains. Sometimes the boarding kids stayed
over at day students homes. The boarding students had a seperate
democratic process, but the school democrascyh had the ultimate
decision-making authority.

AERO has organized the Consortium of Innovative Boarding Schools, with
seven boarding alternatives, including Summerhill, Arthur Morgan School,
The Meeting School, Maple Hill School, Stone Soup School, Stone Mountain
School, and Horizons School. We have an ad for the consortiujm on my
weekly radio show, the Education Revolution, on the Talk America Network.

Jerry Mintz
Alternative Education Resource Organization
HTTP://www.speakeasy.org/~aero
800 769-4171