Re: Dumbing Us Down--TV

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:17:15 -0500

Hey, ya'll-

I'll probably bust the scale, but I'll weigh in on the issue anyway.

I believe that television conveys information just as books and computers
do, and that (and maybe my view is too simple) one of the main concepts in
deschooling and the Sudbury model is that information is free so knock
yourself out. I believe in the model, and I dig Holt, but I as a parent I
cringe a little at the idea of my 6 & 3 watching dramatizations of sex and
violent death.

Therefore we pretty much allow them to watch Disney and toons and PBS and
videos an hour a day. As far as teaching them "how" to watch it, I usually
let them initiate those kinds of conversations. They're pretty smart and I
trust them.

I imagine when they get older we'll back off and let them make more of
their own decisions, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

-Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com

<discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
> Subject: Re: Dumbing Us Down--TV
> Date: Wednesday, April 01, 1998 6:59 PM
>
> Mbradford1 wrote on 4/1/98 8:28 AM:
>
> > I am amazed at how many questions a movie can stimulate in her
> >little brain. And she is very clear about what is real and what is not.
We