Re: Working for love.

Martin Perkins (jperkins@erols.com)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:21:24 -0500

Naomi Gold wrote:

> No one has yet told me how staff actually support themselves financially
> during the first year without a salary.
Naomi,
They don't....not for wages of $11,000 per annum or anywhere near that
amount. I find this topic of working for love to be bizarre. The
implication is if you don't make as much money, you are doing it for
love. That may be the case...then again, maybe not. Where do self
respect and self-love come into the picture? Service to others is
important and it should and can be rewarded fairly with a living wage.
Marty Perkins
Fairhaven School