Re: The Myth of the ADD Child

Joe Jackson (shoeless@erols.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:55:23 -0500

Hi all, Joe from Fairhaven School in MD.

While my first inclination is to say that administering ritalin to combat
the symptoms of ADD is B.S. pseudoscience, I think I'll tone it down and
just say that the phrase "giving them the Rx for ritalin so their child can
function in school" just really pisses me off. No offense.

ADD is not something that prevents children from functioning, it's
something that prevents the schools from being able to comfortably
assimilate children into the culture of subjugation and control that they
admittedly and unintentionally inflict. There's no mystery that schools do
this - what angers me is that the alternatives are there in our face, and
people are either so ingrained in the conventional wisdom that conventional
assembly-line schools are the only option, or unaware of how bad schools
are, that they _will not_ look at alternative models with open eyes and
minds.

My stepson was labeled a serious ADD and marched around like a robot on
ritalin for several years, and against the wishes of his doctor, and I'm
embarressed to say, me, he and his mom decided to drop the meds. After
that, flashes of creativity and personality and this "self" began to emerge
in him. Granted, he was more of a handful without the meds, but I think the
whole point is that these kids aren't pets, and trying to force them into
some personality destroys them. I know for a fact he was much happier off
the drugs.

He's now 23 and living on his own and getting up every day on his own and
remembering phone numbers and driving a car. Granted he doesn't write too
well, but that's what these dang computers are for, right?

OK, I'm not pissed anymore. Have a great day, everybody!

-Joe Jackson
shoeless@erols.com