Re: The Myth of the ADD Child

Teresa Gallagher (hypercog@connix.com)
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:53:33 -0500

Alan: I agree with you on attention deficit disorder. I've found that
the biggest reason kids get medicated is that the parents have teachers
hounding them on one side and medical people on the other side telling
them with great authority and insistance that ADD is a brain defect for
which medication is required. The parents often feel uneasy but don't
see any other choice. And, of course, the Ritalin does make life easier
for them.

I've read a lot about it over the last few years because my son was born
incredibly active, and I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.
During my reading I discovered that I also very much fit the description
of ADD. In fact, I have always been very aware of a difference I have
which I had always referred to as "it." Or sometimes "crossed wires."
Out of curiosity, I went to Yale and, after four hours of testing, was
pronounced "clearly ADHD" (ADD with hyperactivity). Very interesting,
since I got straight A's in grad school and have a career in the
sciences (grad school is interesting, right?). Clearly, it's not as
hopeless as they say it is.

I think back on my school days (k- undergraduate studies) and I really,
really hated school. I wish I could have gone to a Sudbury type school.
I'm sure I would have done well, because I like to teach myself things,
I just didn't like classrooms and have trouble taking in information "by
ear." (Many ADDers have verbal difficulties/dyslexia). I was the student
who failed math while winning awards in music and art.

There is a sort of underground shift going on with how ADD is viewed.
The old school says it is a brain defect which requires meds. This is
made up primarily of psychiatrists, psychologists and especially drug
companies. There is an opposing camp, composed of researchers, parents,
and a few authors, who believe ADD is an alternative mode of thinking,
latteral thinking perhaps, or creative thinking. I say underground
because the press hasn't caught onto it yet.

My Born to Explore site represents the latter view. It's at
http://www.connix.com/~hypercog/add.htm if anyone is interested in the
subject.

-Teresa