Re: NPR Radio for AERO/NHK Video

Coby Smolens (cobys@webtv.net)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 17:31:27 -0800

--WebTV-Mail-502622702-23

I had an experience practically identical to Mike's - while driving
(actually on my way to meet co-founders to look at a prospective site
for the Marin Sudbury School) through the deluge I caught the last
fifteen minutes or so. Traffic conditions were dicey enough that I
didn't want to make a call from the car to inquire as to whether or not
the Sudbury model was mentioned during the show. Another of our group
informed me later that he had also listened to the show and had not
heard any mention of SVS... Was there any? If so, I would lke to take
the time to dig up the NPR archive and listen to it in toto (available
on their website).

If not -- how come? Surely it's worh mentioning Sudbury in any broadly
aired discussion on education...

Apropos (sort of) this: Sudbury Valley now has copies of a documentary
video shot by NHK (Japanese public broadcasting) last May at SVS. In my
estimation it is by far the best such effort to date, giving the most
comprehensive and watchable picture of the school in action I've seen.
The narration and commentary is subtitled in English, with original
voices of students and staff. It is very lively and presents the model
in a surprisingly favorable light, given the rigid and conservative
reputation of the Japanese school system. On second thought though I
guess the Japanese also have a reputation as innovators, and as a people
willing to recognise the faults of its systems and embrace obviously
workable remedies (I cite family and employee involvement and bottom-up
operation of many Japanese corporate entities in the past couple
decades).

The fact that my wife and I happened to be present during filming has
nothing whatsoever to do with my praises for the endeavor (I am the guy
in the Irish tweed cap in the School Meeting scenes) -- It stands
entirely on its own merit.

--WebTV-Mail-502622702-23