Re: Files on the Web

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:16:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Charles wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 KleinCon@aol.com wrote:
>

> > Here's another idea: If your webmaster simply sets up a directory on the
> > AERO web server that has no HTML files in it, you can upload files to it
> > yourself. These can be fies of any type. Probably you would want to use
> > something like WordPerfect 5.1 format so most people can read them (or plain
> > ASCII).
>

> ASCII, please. _Everyone_ can read that.

I second that. I am sick of getting "Word" documents as enclosures in
email -- I've never bought (and never intend to buy) a Microsoft product.

HTML is also a nice, standard treatment -- if you want to include
formatting things (bold, underscores, etc) in the documents. When a text
file won't do, I try to use HTML.

> Another choice would be to post the article to an appropriate Usenet
> newsgroup and inform the list where to find it. (It could be reposted
> at regular intervals for refreshment.)

Probably not a great idea... Everyone's news-server gets purged at
different intervals. My primary one only stores news for the past three
days (!), and it could get obnoxious to regular readers of the newsgroup
if the same article gets reposted ten times per month.

> - Charles -

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net
http://www.tiac.net/users/sdavid
The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the
poor, to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal
bread.

-- Anatole France