Re: the homeschooling discussion

jdh23@cornell.edu
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 KleinCon@aol.com wrote:

> In fact, I find in general is that if I remain
> curious as to people's motives, reasoning, and experiences I get a much
> better quality of dialogue and therefore information.
>
> So, let's stay curious and open to each other. We have much more in common
> than we have in opposition to each other.

Alan-
Hear, hear. We are unschooling, and I find people's open-minded
criticisms most helpful in focusing my efforts on supplying the lacks in
a home education environment. I am thinking particularly of Mimsy's
comments on independence and the opportunities for developing it that
kids get when they are off their home turf. Letting them spend extended
time with a tribe of kids in another neighborhood is one way I handle
it, but I could do more.
I would much rather our boys were at a Sudbury school, but that
isn't possible right now, so unschooling's our best answer for the
present.

--Juanita