Re: the homeschooling discussion

KleinCon@aol.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 03:08:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-10-21 17:02:30 EDT, Danny wrote:

> There is an ugly undercurrent in the ongoing discussion about
> homeschooling, and related topics, that I have encountered often in other
> contexts, and that I deeply regret seeing surface in this particular
> maillist.

I, too, regret it when the "ugly undercurrent" surfaces. I struggle, though
with trying to ascertain its source.

On the one hand, I agree with everything you wrote, Dan (or was it Hanna),
about the difference between strong opinions and closed-mindedness. On the
other hand, I must admit to feeling what some others seem to have felt, that
there _seems_ to be a certain rigidity in the way some from SVS have
responded on this issue.

I had this response initially to Mimsy's post on this subject. I felt very
good, though, about Mimsy's response to my request for more information in
regard to her position. In fact, I find in general is that if I remain
curious as to people's motives, reasoning, and experiences I get a much
better quality of dialogue and therefore information.

So, let's stay curious and open to each other. We have much more in common
than we have in opposition to each other.

Alan