Re: Choices

Karta Purkh S Khalsa (kpskhalsa@sprintmail.com)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:12:56 -0500

Dear Dale: I was with you all the way up to the part where your boys built
fuel gulping, pollution spewing, rubber tree wasting dragsters. Really, my
brother did about the same thing some 30 years ago, between stints in jail
for robbing cars (joy riding) and dropping out of high school but he soon
straightened out and went on to leave a trail of two broken marriages and
seven children that won't even speak his name. I'm not saying your boys
should have built a passive solar home from hay bales and old pop bottles
(that's been done before too!) but at least something more original. Hmmm,
maybe an FBI/DEA proof stronghold in the wilds of Washington DC where they
could live tax free and camouflauged! Just kidding.
At 08:40 AM 10/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Let us imagine that the Supreme Court rules tomorrow that each new
>American human has the unalienable right to develop his or her own
>selves. Hence all the State Conditioning Centers are declared
>unconstitutional and are disbanded. On the first of January 1998 there
>are no more truancy laws, $3E11 in moneys are returned to the taxpayers
>and a brand new educational market is established. The Separation of
>School and State Alliance has a victory party and disbands.
>
>Let us assume that Daniel Greenberg and John Holt and Grace Llewellyn
>are correct. That all humans have an innate desire to learn and succeed
>in life.
>
>Then millions(a small percentage but still millions) of parents say to
>their children:
>
>"Johnny and Mary and Hortence we agree with Daniel and John and Grace so
>here is $4000 per year that you can spend any way you want. We(the
>parents) will continue to pay for your worldly necessities and
>comforts."
>
>Now what do you think these particular(given the responsibility for
>themselves) children and young adults will do with the money? How will
>they spend their childhoods?
>
>I think we can agree that the answer for a Vietnamese or Cambodian
>youngster just off a 747 and can not speak English(we have hundreds of
>these just in our own school district) will be far different from
>someone like me that was blowing fuses in the house with my electrical
>experiments, building and improving radios, a voracious reader in my
>efforts to prepare myself to be an Electromagnetics Engineer long before
>I could spell electromagnetics. I think we can assume that a future
>Dave Brubeck will chose different teachers and learning environments
>than a potential Nathaniel Bowditch. And I think we can agree that the
>learning services that have grown up during the last ten years to
>service the million or so homeschoolers will ramp up at an exponential
>rate.
>
>What would you have done? What would your children do? What would the
>children you know do? What would the children and young adults do with
>the money and their time?
>
>Actually I did something like this with my two high school age boys. I
>told them that I was paying them back for the National Debt I had helped
>to create by my "vacations" in Antarctica and other government
>"research." My two boys proceeded to invent the most wonderful learning
>experiences. You should of seen and heard and smelled the very fast and
>roaring dragsters and beautiful street machines they created. All shiny
>black and orange and red with big block Chevie engines and huge fat rear
>tires and the smell of burning rubber during acceleration. Dale
>--
>$ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net Seattle, Washington U.S.A. $

Karta Purkh Khalsa

"Language is only a dialect with a navy."