Re: Gender Equality

Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:58:46 -0700

Kristin Harkness wrote:

> Sheri,
> I am a parent of a 7 year old girl who attends Sudbury Valley, and a
> committed feminist. I am fascinated to see that she plays overwhelmingly
> with girls. It appears that for the younger kids, gender self-segregation
> is common. <snip>
>
> What I find so interesting is that this is a decision of the children
> themselves, in an environment in which they get to make their own choices.
<snip>

This did not happen around our house in our neighborhood when our two
boys were about this age. Both boys and girls flowed into our yard.
They all appeared to be enjoying themselves except when the girls go too
bossy with the boys. Dale

--
$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $