Re: Gender Equality

Sheri Ponzi (mishemo@waonline.com)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:32:51 -0400

Dale R. Reed wrote:

> Sheri Ponzi wrote:
> <snip>
> > I am really impressed with the Sudbury model, but am also a strong
> > feminist and would prefer to find a place that actively works against
> > these forces.
>
> Never forget that boys mature at a slower rate(a year? behind) than
> girls up to about twenty? years old. So boys in the same age sorted
> classrooms with girls are under extreme pressures to keep up with the
> more mature girls. Not only does this build strong resentments in many
> boys against girls but the teachers in most grade school classrooms are
> women. This womanized authority forces boys day after day to keep
> quite, stand quietly in lines, do the assigned work, stop daydreaming,
> be nice to the damned smarty pants girls...

Well, this makes sense, except that it has been shown again and again
that boys are given MORE attention and MORE encouragement and
opportunities to answer etc. I think the system sucks for both of them.
My concern is that the higher value society puts on males and is
unconsciously shown in schools will also show up in Sudbury type schools
unless it is actively fought against. I'm not saying it DOES happen in
SVS, sinceI've not visited yet, but I jsust wondered if people involved
were aware of these tendencies.

> All adding to the boys resentment until too many men do awful things to
> too many women. And awful things to themselves and to the women that
> love them.

Hmmm... I think it may be a stretch to attribute the terrible things
males do to women to this experience in school. There are MANY other
factors which go into it. I'm not sure that this is the place for a
feminist theory discussion though. But I can see where the boys might
feel uncomfortable with te situation. I think regular schools suck too.

> Fortunately there are no pressures as I have described on the boys at
> Sudbury model schools. Dale

but are there truly equal opportunities and encouragement for the
females? I think people will be tempted to say yes and really menait,
but so would public school teachers. I just wondered if anyone has
really looked at it.

Peace,
Sheri

--
http://www.geocities.com/wellesley/2475

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

"The greatest sin of our time is not the few who have destroyed, but the vast majority who've sat idly by." -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we are to reach real peace in this world we shall have to begin with the children." -Ghandi