Re: [Fwd: URGENT Virus Warning--]

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1904 ameada@vom.com wrote:

> Don't know if this is true, but I thought it was worth passing this along. Have
> a good day.
>
> Jessie

> WARNING!!!!!! If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO NOT
> open it!

There's no such thing as an email that can automatically execute a
program. It's impossible, given the architecture of the internet. Now,
if an email contains a zip file, _DON'T_ allow your machine to
automatically unpack it -- it _might_ be unpacking an executable into
your boot sector so that your _system_ will run it when it boots.

But, so long as you only _read_ the text of a message, you're safe.

> It will erase EVERYTHING on your hard drive! Send this letter out to as
> many people you can.......this is a new virus and not many people know
> about it!
>
> This information was received this morning from IBM, please share it
> with anyone that might access the Internet.
>
> Also,
>
> If anyone receives mail entitled; PENPAL GREETINGS! please delete
> it WITHOUT reading it!! This is a warning for all Internet users -
> there is a dangerous virus propagating across the Internet through an
> e-mail message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!".
>
> DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY MESSAGE ENTITLED "PENPAL GREETINGS"!!
>
> This message appears to be a friendly letter asking you if you are
> interested in a penpal, but by the time you read this letter, it is
> too
> late. The trojan horse" virus will have already infected the boot
> sector
> of your hard drive, destroying all of the data present. It is a
> self-replicating virus, and once the message is read, it will
> AUTOMATICALLY forward itself to anyone who's e-mail address is present
> in
> YOUR mailbox!

The short answer -- this information was either sent by someone who wanted
to create some small-scale hysteria, or by someone who's misguided.

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net
http://www.tiac.net/users/sdavid