Re: youth & adult education

A.R. Gouin (arg@istar.ca)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:20:42

At 07:50 97-07-29 -0700, Dale R. Reed wrote:
>Robin Martin wrote:
><snip> Yet, both of these models seem to focus on either youth or
>adults, not both. Could we (or have any of you) create educational
>programs that build on both the creative powers of adults and youth?
>>
>> Would welcome comments on this topic!
><snip>
>
>Hi Robin. I often wonder how your adult/youth project is going. Happy
>to see you are still in there pitching. I for one think you have a
>fine idea. But maybe that is because I am a youthful adult. Or an old
>child.

[SNIP]

As a youthful adult or old child I couldn't help but be reminded of a
St-Exupery phrase when I read (Dale Reed's):

>But I do not imagine you will have much luck getting the youngsters to
>contribute very much. There are exceptions like SwiftRain presently(or
>was last school year) at Sudbury but generally from the few cyber and
>off-line experiences I have had I conclude that oldsters and youngsters
>do not mix very well. Except for within their own families of course. It
>really is too bad for they have so much pleasure to give each other.

And it went :

>Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves,
>and it is tiresome for children to be always
>and forever explaining things to them.
> - de Saint-Exupery,
> The Little Prince

One of the very few memories that I can recall of my school days was when I
had the pleasure of dictating the answer book to my algebra teacher (who
claimed he had lost it, or pretended so he could test me). I enjoyed that
teaching episode so much that I still remember it, not much else.

My suggestion here would be : If the two need to be mixed, put the kids in
charge.

Regards,

"The end of labor is to gain leisure." Aristotle.
-- Gouin, d'Ottawa ON Canada. Futurist-at-leisure NOW. --