Fwd: Stop Involuntary Servitude

Mbradford1@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 1997 02:05:13 -0400 (EDT)

I received this e-mail recently and thought it pertained (tangentially) to
the OBE/public school discussion, so I am forwarding it to this list. Gotta
love the idea of mandated volunteerism! - Melissa Bradford, LVS

PARENTS: PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN FROM SERVITUDE

The Ayn Rand Institute (ARI) has launched a major campaign in opposition to
the "Presidents' Summit for America's Future," which will take place in
Philadelphia April 27-29. President Clinton has called the summit the
beginning of a mission to "spark a renewed national sense of obligation, a
new sense of duty, a new season of service."

Why should this "summit" be of concern to you and your children? Because
the summit organizers' message of "service" and "duty to others" has ominous
implications for young people. Consider Clinton's plans for your children _
as outlined in his April 5, 1997, "weekly radio address":

I challenge schools and communities in every state to make
service a part of the curriculum in high school and even in
middle school. There are many creative ways to do this _
including giving students credit, making service part of the
curriculum, OR EVEN REQUIRING IT, as Maryland does. (Emphasis
supplied)

In our judgment, children do not have a congenital obligation to others.

They should be left free to pursue their own academic and career interests,
their own goals and values _ not to be taught that their lives belong to
others, to be lived for others in humble, dutiful servitude. We hold that
compelling children to perform "service to others" in order to graduate is
morally repugnant _ conjuring up images of Soviet "Red Pioneers," or "Hitler
Youth." Put another way, should Thomas Edison have been left free to invent
the light bulb _ or should he have been required to give out free candles to
the indigent in order to earn a high-school diploma?

The Ayn Rand Institute has long track record of involvement in the education
of high school and college students. Since 1985, more than 50,000
high-school students have participated in ARI-sponsored essay contests. More
than 80,000 teachers' guides to Ayn Rand's novels The Fountainhead and Atlas
Shrugged have been distributed in the schools. And college clubs devoted to
studying Ayn Rand's novels and philosophy are active on several dozen
campuses.

That's why we have established a nationwide "Campaign Against Servitude."
Please visit our web site:

http://www.aynrand.org/no_servitude

and sign our petition to protest the goals of the "citizen's service"
summit. The petition will be forwarded to President Clinton on July 4, 1997
as part of our fight for your and your child's freedom.

Please forward this E-mail message to as many individuals and organizations
as you possibly can! If you can alert ten, or twenty, or even fifty
additional persons, firms, newsgroups, etc. about our campaign and petition,
you will have provided invaluable help in combating the destructive ideas
that will be advocated at the Presidents' Summit.

Thank you in advance for whatever assistance you can provide in our efforts
to reach the widest possible audience with this call for freedom. Nothing
less than the future of your children is at stake.

Sincerely Yours,

Michael S. Berliner
Executive Director,
The Ayn Rand Institute >>