Fwd: Re: the right to pursue excellence

Coby Smolens (cobys@webtv.net)
Tue, 6 May 1997 01:19:54 -0700

--WebTV-Mail-2069391068-449

Alan's message of Tue, May 6th is contained below (WebTV doesn't allow
re-editing of received messages -- no cut and paste... A pox on the
neanderthals!).

Alan, in the context of a discussion which revolves around the Sudbury
model, both your experience in the public school system and "outcomes
based education" share a common feature -- that being a complete
disregard for the desires or interests of the recipient of this
"education". The subject of the attentions of the system, or the
teacher, is viewed in either case as a passive vessel to be filled with
an approved concoction of "knowledge". All responsibility is therefore,
quite naturally, laid in the lap of the dispenser...

Coby
Marin Sudbury Founders Group

--WebTV-Mail-2069391068-449

From: KleinCon@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 00:55:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: discuss-sudbury-model@europe.std.com
Subject: Re: the right to pursue excellence
Sender: discuss-sudbury-model-approval@world.std.com

In a message dated 97-05-05 23:44:32 EDT, Melissa wrote:

<< here in Illinois, and in many of
the states I have heard about, there is a big movement toward outcomes-based
education. >>

Melissa (or anyone),

Could you give me an objective definition of "outcome based education"? I
have heard the term lambasted all over the right wing media, but I have never
really heard it defined. In the context of traditional (non-democratic)
education, the term itself sounds like a good idea to me, at least how I
define it in my head. When I taught in public schools I was always pushing
to be held accountable for what my kids actually learned (outcomes) not what
went on in the classroom. The usual way that teachers get evaluated and what
they are held accountable for, of course, is quiet and neatness in the
classroom - learning be damned!

Thanks,

Alan

--WebTV-Mail-2069391068-449--