Re: the right to pursue excellence

Charles (quester@eskimo.com)
Fri, 2 May 1997 13:07:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Deborah Bartle wrote:

> It is also very evident to me, by observing my boys, that the current
> 'method of schooling' ie, age seperations, classroom assignment, etc.
> would have been very demeaning to their spirit. They no doubt would have
> experienced 'behavior problems' along the way, according to some expert.
> But, of course, I could have drugged them into submission, since that is
> an a acceptable recourse today. (sorry, I got carried away) ;-)

Aha! So we are talking about current methods of schooling.
You're right. They stink. (Many of them, anyway.) I'm sure most
teachers would agree.

But let's not throw out the schoolhouse with the stinkwater.
There are lots of good models for progressive public schooling.
I kind of like the `library' one myself. I wonder what we could achieve
with that. If we put enough public money into it, I mean.

- Charles -