Re: the right to purse excellence

KleinCon@aol.com
Fri, 2 May 1997 08:31:36 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-02 01:06:19 EDT, Deborah wrote:

<< > Deborah wrote:
> I'd vote government out of the education business

> Alan asks:
> Who then pays for the schooling of a poor kid in downtown DC or rural West
> Virginia?

>Deborah replied:
> You are assuming that the quality of the education (poor) children are
> receiving is worth the money that the government is spending and that
>no schooling would leave multitudes (of poor) not knowing what to think.
>Real education is not a very expensive venture. Real knowledge can be
>obtained quite cheaply.

I certainly do NOT assume that the quality of the education (as well as the
quality of the philosophy and procedures of that education) of any kids
(including poor ones) in most schools is anything but atrocious. I also
agree with you that real education/knowledge can be achieved much more
cheaply than is thought today, although not as cheaply as "quite cheaply".
Highland, SVS, and others all prove that tuition need not be $7000 or
$10,000 or higher. Poor families, however, don't have even the $4000-5000
that it probably does take. Who pays for them if the "government (ie - all
of us) goes out of the education funding business?

Alan: > The "government" is nothing more (nor less) than the collective
> will of the individual people of a country.

Deborah: I recall learning that the government force children out of their
parents homes to go be 'educated' and that the illitercy rates
have never again been as high as they were prior to forced schooling. >>

It is a myth, I believe, to think that the real literacy rate across the
country was higher in 1850 than it is now. In addition, we need to think
about all of the different "literacies" that are almost as basic today as
print literacy. Not that I think the government should be in the business of
setting standards in those areas. Just that I do recognize that the world is
more complicated today than a century ago. I also don't think that
government should "force children out of their parents (sic) homes to go be
'educated' ". Imagine what a home-schooling family could do with a few or
several thousand dollars to support their activities. Perhaps it would be
enough to allow one parent to stay home to do the home-schooling.

Alan