Re: the right to purse excellence

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Thu, 1 May 1997 22:28:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 May 1997 KleinCon@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-05-01 20:53:39 EDT, Scott David wrote:
>
> <<
> My personal opinion about public education, is that its a _mistake_ to
> confuse a public information system that everyone should have equal
> access to with such issues as 'truancy laws' and 'vouchers' etc... I
> propose, instead, the library model.
> >>

> Scott David,
>
> I'll go along with this. I have always liked the library model and have used
> it myself on many occasions. In the end, though, it is still going to have
> to be "government" money that funds these places, which would have to be
> increased in numbers if the public schools went out of business. Who would
> make the decisions as to how these places get started, get run, and get
> funded? Perhaps we could do it by usage, which would lead us right back to
> vouchers!

The same people who currently do for regular libraries... The
townships... By democratic decision, after communicating with their
neighbors. In the body politic. I'm thinking of the library becoming
more of a 'community center'...

I wouldn't _want_ to decentralize the libraries in a manner that competing
private libraries would... Would vouchers for libraries mean that if _my_
$6,000 went to the 'Brown Library' that I couldn't ever make use of the
resources at the 'Simon Library'? This sounds like its VERY
inefficient...

> Alan

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net