Re: the right to purse excellence

Thu, 01 May 1997 08:52:03 -0700

Cathy Pauline Lachapelle wrote:
<snip>
> --What about poor kids living in the middle of cities -- how will they get
> to good schools, if their parents can't get them there? <snip>

> --Cathy (new to this list: hello!)

Well hello to you too Cathy. Welcome to the discussion.

All I want to add to this subject is in America I think we should
"design" are educational system for the winners. I think we should
assume that all children are rich in some way, that all are gifted, that
all their parents are competent and caring and...

Then if the majority of people in our republic want to maintain a
welfare system including welfare schools for the few that don't meet our
assumptions, fine. But we would expect all good citizens to try to
keep themselves and their children off the welfare rolls. We would
expect everyone to educate themselves and their children just as most of
us now clothe and feed and house ourselves. Dale

--
Seattle Washington U.S.A.
dale-reed@worldnet.att.net