Re: Comparing the Sudbury Model

Fri, 11 Apr 1997 05:42:16 -0700

Msadofsky@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Swifty,
>
> I find your post puzzling, since most of the teens at Sudbury Valley are 16
> or more, which means that they do not have to attend school in Massachusetts.
>
> Mimsy

I think she has got you there SwiftRain.

In fact I have used Mimsy's point many times myself. The truancy laws
start here in Washington State at 8 years old but almost all the parents
enter their children in school at Kindergarten and every year there are
articles in the paper instructing parents how to get their 4.5 year olds
permission to enter kindergarten.

Hence, forced schooling in Washington State lasts for only 8 years.
This fact is one of the first things I mention in my School Board
candidate speaches and then I go on to say that, if elected, I would
spread the word in the hope that at least a few more people would NOT
put their children in school until they are eight years old, if ever.
Dale

--
dale-reed@worldnet.att.net