Re: surfing uncensored

Charles (quester@eskimo.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:25:24 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Scott David Gray wrote:

> What 'we' are you talking about??? It suddenly occurs to me that you
> might be referring to 'founders' or 'staff'. _If_ that's what you're
> getting at, the answer is simple -- 'we' don't. However, if you're
> referring to the school community as a whole, then 'we' do -- the School

Yup, that's what I meant and you have answered my question.

As long as the _ultimate_ `we" is the community, then -- though of course
the community will in most circumstances choose to exist within the
framework of external legality -- it possesses the authority, if only in
theory, to decide to make exceptions and bear whatever consequences such
action might entail.

(I am not sure that endorsing, say, the judicious use of marijuana or a
student project on pornography would necessarily constitute secession from
the Union, but hmmm... `Revolutionary government in exile' has a nice
ring. Does the school by any chance have a flag?)

I don't expect it will ever happen but it is nice to know it could.

Charles