Re: surfing uncesored

Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:27:07 -0800

Mimsy wrote:
<snip>
> On the other hand, since there is no internet access at school for students
> yet, (They, who need to run it, don't seem to care enough to get it together
> -- I guess at home internet access satisfies their needs.) the specific issue
> doesn't affect us.

This is interesting and certainly simplifies things for Sudbury. I
predict that within a couple years you will have to deal with the
internet(unless by the democratic process or whatever you all decide
against it) access for the Sudbury students and I hope you will keep us
posted on how the school deals with the subject.

> X-rated movies would. They can't be shown at school. R-rated movies can.

Is there is a law against showing X-rated movies(I assume we are talking
videos here) to children, ie can(as far as the government is concerned)
the children see them at home, or it this a Sudbury rule voted on by the
democratic process or what?

> What I think of censorship doesn't matter here. The school has taken stand
> after stand for free speech, but not for ignoring laws.

Can you furnish the URL or other source for the applicable laws that
apply to your school?

<snip>

> It is also not my impression that many of our students, parents, or staff are
> fascinated by this maillist. I think it is mostly for others who want to
> discuss issues about the school, and that is just fine.

I have always wondered why there are not more students posting to these
discussion lists. When I ran for local School Board a couple years ago
I said that students would be gaining more and more information from the
cyberspace receiving immediate feedback on their expressed ideas instead
of having to wait for some English Teacher to grade(judge their ideas)
their papers. But in truth I actually have not seen much evidence of
this happening. Once in a while one of Andy Smallman's students will
post, but not often.

I think censorship is an important issue. About 15 years ago I talked
to a few librarians from the Soviet Union and when I asked them if they
had any books by Ayn Rand in their libraries and they quickly said NO
THEY DID NOT! because her work was considered pornographic. Dale