Fwd: RE: surfing uncesored

Coby Smolens (cobys@webtv.net)
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:31:57 -0800

--WebTV-Mail-1648822921-615

Hi Folks,

This is from Coby, Marin SV Model Founders Group, writing in response to
Dale Reed and Wayne Radinsky (see below).

1rst: Point of query -- I have been searching the California Legal Codes
for law pertaining to pornography, private schools and the internet and
I haven't found anything AT ALL laying the burden of censorship on such
schools. Almost all the Codes I have found have to do with the producers
and distributors of the stuff... Have either of you done research in
this direction? As a member of the founding group of an embryonic
SVS-modelled school I am eager to have any solid legal information
available on this, or any other subject which may help me to participate
more clearly in informed discussion regarding what has become a passion
for me.

2nd: Re: kids having been automatically put in an anti-censorship
position by SVS philosophy: Unh-uh. People in an SVS school are endowed
with equal rights. If some of them, at some time during their
development feel the need to attempt to censor what others
see/hear/say/do, they have the right to try it out, within the agreed
context of due democratic process -- a process which they have helped to
craft and in which they participate on a daily basis -- and to learn
from the experience.

3rd: Dale, could you explain to me the reason for comparing "the
homeschooling/unschooling model" to that of Sudbury Valley? Is it even
possible to do this? Homeschooling/unschooling covers a wide range of
significantly differing environments, ranging from mini-academies
complete with desks, blackboards, textbooks and grades to genuine
self-directed living. On the other hand, the Sudbury Valley approach, as
embodied in all the schools who've adopted it, is a coherent, unified
structure not subject in any material way to the happenstance of
geography, the vicissitudes of political or religious background, or the
whim of personality. Maybe the cups ain't all in the cupboard, but I
don't see the usefulness of the comparison...

Cheers -- Coby

--WebTV-Mail-1648822921-615