Re: The worst part of censorship is ###########.

Charlie Wilkinson (cwilkins@boink.clark.net)
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 23:30:05 -0500 (EST)

I believe it was Dale R. Reed who once said:

> Charlie Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> > It would seem that you are implying that SVS-model kids are just that -
> > model kids who wouldn't dare look at dirty pictures
>
> I make no assumptions about SVS-model children being any different than
> any other children. But I am trying to form the SVS-model clearly in my
> mind so I can extend(improve) on the model for the future. I am a
> retired engineer and a libertarian so am never satisfied with the status
> quo. Always wanting to tweak the knobs.

Nothing wrong with that, unless there's a built-in assumption that the
goal is to create one "perfect" system for educating all kids. Well,
actually there is - and it involves schools like SVS allowing a kid to
find their _own_ perfect system, custom-fit to each child's
individuality.

> > and therefore have no need for rules against it.
> snip>
>
> Now this one I do not understand.
>
> I do not believe it is ever a good idea to make rules against looking at
> dirty pictures. I tried to say that in a mentally stimulating,
> non-coercive environment like in a SVS-model school, the children have
> more interesting things to do than harass the staff and other children
> by breaking the rules so I would expect them to have established far
> fewer rules. Dale

I didn't mean to imply that there should be rules unless the majority
decides there should be (in which case, I too would register my
disagreement). I was merely reflecting conventional "wisdom" in that
snippet. More specifically, I was trying to paraphrase what I thought
you were saying. However, based on your last paragraph above, it looks
like we were closer to thinking along the same lines than I first
suspected.

Take care all,
Charlie

OBQuote: "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for
dinner." ;-)

--
   Charlie Wilkinson      Maintainer - Radio For Peace International Web Site
cwilkins@boink.clark.net         http://www.clark.net/pub/cwilkins/rfpi