speaking of Highland...

Robin Martin (aglerose@netins.net)
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 19:32:59 -0600

At 09:16 AM 2/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-02-01 16:48:30 EST, Marge wrote:
>
>(In discussing whether or not democratic schools can be charter schools
>because of requirements placed on charter schools:) "Implicit in the notions
>of "outcomes" and "measurements" is testing; testing has to have a basis;
>does this not almost certainly imply a "curriculum"? "
>

>Not necessarily. The Highland School has been administering standardized
>tests as a condition of their approval to operate as a legal alternative to
>public schooling by the state of West Virginia. The stipulation is that they
>need to score a certain minimum overall in order to be approved. Highland
>uses this testing for state approval purposes only. In all other respects,
>it operates as a completely democratic school which, although it was created
>without knowledge of SVS, uses a very similar structure to SVS.

Are you talking about the Highlander School started by Horton?

I've read a little about Myles Horton and Highlander in a recent graduate
course I took in Adult Ed, and was wondering if anyone on this List could
direct me toward more info on it. In particular, I'm wondering how
Highlander or any similar such schools might be integrating Sudbury-type
models, as well constructivist learning models (such as Papert's ideas with
Logo) into models, paradigms, and philosophies for educating ADULTS (or more
appropriate--to guide adults toward educating themselves).

Robin Martin
Des Moines Iowa
ISU Student in Adult Education