Re: Three Threads in a Fountain

SwiftRain (swifty@elision.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:41:34 -0500

Bruce L. Smith wrote:

[snip]
> 1. One thing I'm still a bit uncertain on regarding the Sudbury model
> is just how it would meet the needs of *all* students, if/when it
> becomes the model for all (or most) of our schools.
[snip]
> Or is this a moot question?
[snip]

it is indeed a moot question, unless you believe that traditional
education is appropriate for anything approaching '*all* students'.

i don't think anyone would suggest that the SVS model is perfect, but it
is certainly appropriate for a larger segment of the population than the
schools that are prevalent now.

[snip, charter schools]
> Do you think this is a step in the right direction, however misguided?
> Or do you think it's more evidence of the piecemeal reform that has
> gotten our public schools nowhere?

i don't think that charter schools are anything near a complete
solution, but they are certainly not part of the problem.
they do little for student freedom, but they are making some progress in
the direction of teachers' autonomy, which although it is not exactly
the SVS issue, is a good thing in itself.

[snip]

--
SwiftRain <swifty@elision.com> -- http://www.elision.com/sr/