TestBet, was: Internet Resources for/about at-risk Youth

Arie Dirkzwager (aried@xs4all.nl)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:20:00 +0100 (MET)

At 09:56 15-01-97 -0600, Robin Martin wrote:
>Hello! I'm working on a little research project for some Job Corps Centers,
>alternative schools for at-risk youth in Maine. I was wondering if any of
>you might be able to point me in the direction of Internet Resources that
>are especially for or about at risk high school students in a school-to-work
>program. In particular, I'm looking for resources focused around career
>management/planning, workplace skills, and personal effectiveness. I'd be
>especially interested in learning about good links geared at youth or their
>teachers around the topics of:
> n taking tests,

I developed an interactive (computer based) testing method called
"TestBet" as a mathematically/psychometrically sound alternative to Multiple
Choice. No forced guessing when you don't know. It teaches realistic
self-assessment as an aside ("personal effectiveness": disencourageing
unwarranted certainty and recognizing what you *really* know), it enhances
studying for perfect and sure knowledge (not for the superficial sloppy
knowledge that meets the criteria to pass a MC-test), and give for each
individual on each item exact diagnostic information on the "state of
knowledge" on a continuous scale of measurement: from "serious fallacy" up
to "perfectly known", not just the MC dichotomy of "good" (may be guessed
good) vs. "wrong" (either consciously "unknown" or thinking it was right and
holding a serious fallacy).
I could send a free demo to anyone interested when you give me your
surface mail address.

Arie

Prof.Dr.A.Dirkzwager,
Educational Instrumentation Technology,
Computers in Education.
Huizerweg 62,
1402 AE Bussum,
The Netherlands.
voice: x31-35-6933258
FAX: x31-35-6930762
E-mail: aried@xs4all.nl

When reading the works of an important thinker, look first for the
apparent absurdities in the text and ask yourself how a sensible person
could have written them." T. S. Kuhn, The Essential Tension (1977).
Accept that some days you are the statue, and some days you are the bird.