Teaching Responsibility

Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:02:52 -0800

Judith wrote:

> >From Judith:
> As you probably have now realized, "The Season of Imagination" is not a
> book. I just enjoyed it........thought others might also.

I liked it and will read it a few more times to better understand it.
Surfed back to the closer to home URL
http://www.speakeasy.org/~wasnet/kamana_background.htm from which the
Season came and found:

..... The Kamana Naturalist Training Program is Wilderness Awareness
School's answer to where do I begin?. It teaches our school's core
curriculum by mentored correspondence. The three 'trails' of the program
lead you on a journey of awareness and sensory skill development and
build a solid foundation of knowledge of your local ecology. Students
study on their own time, at their own pace, and in their own place, and
keep in close contact by mail and phone with the W.A.S. staff. We will
mentor you
in our time proven system of learning. ......

What I want to know is if a group of Sudbury Valley model school
students chose to attend classes sponsored by a Wilderness Attitude
organization like this one then would the Sudbury Valley model school
students then be TAUGHT a CURRICULUM? The answer to me appears to be
yes. So the Sudbury model school students through the agreed to
democratic process or even individually will have chosen to violate the
basic premises of the Sudbury model school to attend the non Sudbury
model wilderness school.

This Wilderness School is TEACHING RESPONSIBILITY and I do know some
Sudbury Valley model school students that are learning from the teachers
at this school here in the Seattle area.

Difficult to be as simple(as taught by the wilderness school) or as
utopian(as attempted, allowed,.... don't know what word to use if I
can't use taught.. by the Sudbury Valley model schools) in the real
world isn't it? Dale