Re: Homeschooling and SVS

Tina (altsch@pacbell.net)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:02:43 +0000

Dale R. Reed wrote:

> This is just wonderful Tina! Where in the world(literally that is) do
> you live,>
In a residential part of San Diego, California. About 2 miles from the
Mexican border, 10 Minutes to the ocean, 1 hour to beautiful mountains,
15 minutes to the center of San Diego with Museums that the students
love to explore. On top of that the Zoo, Sea World,
Wild Animal Park, all places we visit for our studies.
The school is in a residential home where I am allowed to teach 6
students. (Quite
some paper work). We have a 4 bedroom house surrounded by a green
garden, swimming
pool, 3 ponds, kids play area, and a lot of space outside as well as
inside.

>how many children are in your school,>
the first semester there were 4: a 6,7, 8,and 12 year old. In addition,
two
14 year old homeschoolers that would come to visit and study. Parents
and grandparents
show up frequently and the kids excitingly share their "explorations".
We also have company from Europe at times which the students enjoy
tremen-
dously. We do a lot of activities with whoever joins us. I completely
agree with the SVS discussion item that one person can not be all.
(Thanks to fax machines, Internet, and phones the contact remains).

> is it growing and can
> you make a profit? Do you use unpaid staff and/or donations from
> foundations, etc?
This is only my second year. Money is not something that I really
care for very much (It is a business necessity). In order to survive
financially I do tutoring at night for students from High Schools, etc.
There is no other income beyond the tuition. The students love to work
with my (unpaid) husband. He is a gardener, has all
the tools in the world and enjoys the time with the students.
When there will be a profit I want to continue my school into the future
and
move into a farm. The homeschool setting would remain, the number of
students
(6 per teacher) plus visits from parents, grandparents, international
guests,
etc.

>When this model is combined with high tech then the
> children are going to love it.
Absolutely! There are 3 computers. How more exciting can Science be than
to watch the earth "real time" from the moon? Or studying Geography by
looking through someone's living room Camcorder in Austalia, connected
via
the Internet? The students love to produce their own movies,
documentation,
and Interviews using Camcorder, taperecorder, VCR, etc. To study
language is,
to use is creatively.

I'm trying to be brief (otherwise I'd write a novel)
Tina