on moving toward freedom

Robin & Jim (aglerose@netins.net)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:52:21 -0600

A few weeks ago, after one of the presidential debates, someone I know from
another List Serve wrote this great letter to President Clinton. Thought it
might be something you all might enjoy reading too.

:) Robin

>>To: President Clinton and the Democratic Party
>>From: Andrew Jackson
Note--That's really his name!
> [...]
>>better. Mr. President, has it ever occurred to you that kids who take
>>illegal street drugs are doing it for their own well being, just as in the
>>adult world? Parents and children are constantly encouraged to take legal
>>drugs for their own well being. Is there really any difference in the
>>idealogy of taking another drug, which just happens to be defined illegal,
>> for personal well being, than taking a prescription drug for the same
>>purpose? Yes, one is controlled and legal, the other is not controlled and
>>illegal. But the reality is that a person takes a drug to feel better
>>because they aren't taught, or there isn't available, a better choice for the
>>purist of happiness and well being. Provide a kid with a better alternative
>>for happiness and well being than street drugs and he will take it. But our
>>institutions are not providing better alternatives. Maybe within the
>>paradigms of the institutions and their followers, they are teaching and
>>providing better alternatives but within the paradigm of a human being, adult
>>or child, as a freedom seeking being in the purist of life, liberty,
>> happiness and well being, they are not teaching alternatives. They are not
>>seeing a human being as a leader and creator of his own wonderful life, but
>>as a subject that exists to obey and create their, the institutions,
>>wonderful life.
>>
>>The great decision that our generation has to make is do individuals (adults
>>and children) know what is best for their own well being and are our
>>institutions going to enhance the individuals decision and creative ability
>>to form alternatives and make choices or are we going to continue to allow
>>our institutions to preach their own agenda and tell every individual what is
>>best for their well being because the individual is incapable of knowing
>>what is best for him/her self. Mr. President, are you going to give we, the
>>people, as individuals, the means and tools to create our bridges to the
>>future or are you going to give the institutions the means and tools to
>>create their bridges to the future? Are you going to allow individuals to
>>create their destiny and to have their inalienable rights of life, liberty
>>and purist of happiness and well being or are you going to give our power and
>>rights to institutions that they can create their agenda and self proclaimed
>>destiny.
>>
>>Mr. President, we can develop a nation of individual and powerful leaders
>>with the ability to create their own magnificent world. Let countries like
>>China train their people to be the laborers of the world. We can train our
>>people to be the creative leaders and decision makers of the world, if we
>>know and have the confidence to allow our children (and adults) to be the
>>creative, freedom seeking beings they are, and that by knowing that within
>>their purist of their happiness and their well being, evolves the well being
"You have to take life as it happens, but you should try to make it happen
the way you want to take it." --an old German saying