Re: Diversity in Democratic Schools

Michael Reed (pmr@plaza.ds.adp.com)
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:04:53 -0700

At 11:24 PM 9/3/96 -0400, Mimsy Sadofsky wrote:

>If we don't create models no one will be able to see that
>it works, so it won't spread more deeply into the society and eventually
>be available (and acceptable -- by far the biggest problem) to a larger
>segment of the population.

I heartily agree that creating and keeping these kind of schools
going as working, empirical models is of the highest importance.
I can only say I wish _ I _ could have attended a Sudbury-type school
...but I'm sure my father would have had a _big_ problem accepting
the idea at the time...and probably still would.

However, what I see happening is people are becoming much more
accepting of ideas about alternatives to the government schools.
Even so, the Sudbury model is still difficult for them to grasp.

>So maybe it will be time to worry about whether or not to massage the
right >mixture into the student and staff group someday (I hope not, it is
odious to >me)...

Yes indeed! It seems to me that these kind of schools create
their own spontaneous diversity...just by their existence and
persistence. But "massaging the right mixture" would, in my
humble opinion, simply obliterate the philosophical foundations
that initially brought these schools into being.

Cordially --
Michael

P.S. Thanks Mimsy for your cogently thoughtful words.
Michael Reed
pmr@plaza.ds.adp.com

The world little knows or cares the storms through which
you have had to pass. It asks only if you brought the ship
safely to port.
-- Joseph Conrad