Re: A meeting on diversity in svs-model schools

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:43:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, David Barulich wrote:

> I know many Asian immigrant families who think the SVS model is crazy when I
> explained it to them. Their philosophy of child rearing and respect for
> traditions of elders doesn't mesh with the SVS philosophy. Whose problem is
> that? Is it even a problem?

If this is true (and I don't claim that it is) there is a problem. The
problem is one of individual human rights. I maintain that I have a
right to complain when a state does inhumane things to its people -- if
a nation forces people into re-education camps, or a imprisons people for
political views, for _any_ reason besides breaking duly-constituted law.

The problem is that _yes_ individual people should have a right to an
education of their own choosing, but that the _parents_ have no right to
choose it (to imprison their children). The SVS model is a
_non_-model... We say, "teach yourself how you like". Some kids from SVS
_do_ take classes, _do_ test themselves, etc. That's their _right_...
But it is _nobody's_ right to _force_ a way of life on someone else.

So, in short, here's where we disagree. You support parents' rights to
force their kids to live within a particular framework. I support
_every_ person's right to live within a framework of his/her own making.

(BTW, I think the fact that I have been able to _discuss_ and _question_
and _explore_ my elders' values has led me to respect them _more_ than if
they were handed down from on high. The free market of ideas allows
_correct_ ideas to persist, and so lends credence to those that have
withstood the test of time.)

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net
http://www.tiac.net/users/sdavid/svs