Re: Diversity in Democratic Schools

Sundaram (mukesh@inow.com)
Mon, 02 Sep 1996 17:33:04 -0700

Alan Klein wrote:
>=20
> In a message Michael Levy (Pacific Village) wrote:
> >
> ><< --I also want to mention that one person at the meeting felt that t=
here
> >is no reason to take on diversity as a goal. >>
>=20
> Jeff Bradford replied:
>=20
> >I confess; it=92s me.
> >
> >Diversity of ideas, experiences, and opinions is desirable; however, I=
find
> >it highly offensive that a person=92s color, social status, or disabil=
ity is
> >what diversity has been reduced to.
>=20
> Alan Klein responds:
>=20
> It is, I agree, unfortunate that diversity has been reduced to this lev=
el
> of legalese. It is , however, simply a byproduct of having a legal sy=
stem
> that requires precise definitions. Diversity, in human reality, is, I
> believe, both the diversity

Shouldn't we all get back to what it is that we are doing? Providing a=20
democratic learning environment for the "students" of the school to=20
discover the trials, tribulations and joys of functioning in a working=20
society. Why is there a need to impose the messups of our adult society=20
and make the kids create the solution? I think that the best situation=20
is for the democratic school to operate true to its founding principles=20
based on mutual respect and rights. Our school in Santa Clara is highly=20
diverse. A major reason I refused to send my kids to public school was=20
the divisive nature of multiculturalism. My children live in a home=20
where two cultures come together and are appreciated, not dissected for=20
their differences, but embraced for their gifts. I don't want anyone to=20
destroy that appreciation by suggesting there are deep and dividing=20
differences. An environment of respect and appreciation will draw all=20
people of all backgrounds together. =20

K. Sundaram