My correction (fwd)

Scott David Gray (sdavid@tiac.net)
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:56:28 -0400 (EDT)

I got this email from Steve Henrick, publisher of FLAMED. For those who=20
found one of my answers to his questions odd in the online version of the=
=20
magazine, it was due to an editorial error which has been addressed.

Flamed is at http://www.flamed.com

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdavid@tiac.net
http://www.tiac.net/users/sdavid/svs

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 1995 01:58:55 -0400
From: Steve Henrik | http://www.flamed.com <hen@flamed.com>
To: sdavid@tiac.net
Subject: My correction

Hi Scott,=20

I've rechecked your answer to the comment below in your last email.=20

I made a mistake by condensing the original question, which then took your =
answer=20
out of context. This has now been corrected in the article itself. Thanks f=
or=20
catching this.

------YOUR RECENT COMMENT-------
However, I don't think I answered "it happens, far too often" to
"What would you do if a student didn't want to do anything"? I'm trying
to remember the context, but I _think_ that was in answer to a question
about _parents_ demanding that we make their kids do something (I don't
think there's anything wrong with doing "nothing"). I would appreciate
it if you could check our correspondence, and print a retraction if I
was taken out of context...

-------MY ORIGINAL QUESTION AND YOUR ANSWER-------

> SVS SCHOOL SYSTEM
>
> What would you do if a student didn=92t want to do anything but just sit =
around all
> day, yet the boy=92s parents are pushing you to teach him something? Has =
a situation
> like this ever happened?

It happens. Far too often. Frankly, we simply refuse the parents.
We tell the parents that the kid spends his or her time at SVS as s/he
wishes. The staff, under the school rules, have no _right_ to "teach" an
unwilling person -- that would be deemed an infringement of rights. Some
parents eventually ease up at home, but some parents remove their kids
from SVS.=20

-------THE NEW QUESTION-------
Do parents push you when they feel their kid isn't doing anything?

--=20

Steve Henrik, Publisher..........................Flamed: For the NeXt Gener=
ation
d.com
Company........................................Gang of Virtue Webmedia (Tor=
onto)

Phone 416-204-6292 | Personal Mail hen@interlog.com | Flamed Mail hen@flame=
d.com